Primetals Technologies designs and implements galvanizing lines for hot and cold rolled strip, combined galvanizing and color coating lines, and combined pickling and galvanizing lines. We have developed our own in-house technologies for ensuring the highest product quality in the hot-dip galvanizing process.
Primetals Technologies' metallic coating lines stand for reliable operation, high throughput rates and top product quality. The lines assure the highest degree of flexibility for changing strip steel grades, coating compositions, and strip dimensions. The lines guarantee production of first-class output material which meets the most stringent demands of the market such as automotive grades (e.g. Extra-Deep Drawing Quality, High Strength, Hot Formed or Martensitic Steels) and external surface quality as well as for household appliances and construction applications. All kinds of coatings can be applied including Pure Zinc, Galvannealed (ZnFe), Galfan (Zn95 Al), Zinc Aluminium (Al55Zn), Aluminium Silicon (AlSi) or pure aluminium (Al) offering the widest range of strip protection to customers' targeted markets.
Galvanizing of Cold-rolled Strip
- Strip welding by Mash Lap or Laser depending on final application
- Cleaning section
- In-line multi zone annealing furnace
- Zinc pot dross removal system
- Air knives working in closed loop control with zinc coating gauge
- Electromagnetic strip vibration damper and crossbow corrector
- Strip roughness and mechanical properties controlled with our skin-pass mill and tension leveller
- Roll coater installed in post treatment section
- Single head or turret-type side trimmer
- SIAS® – automated surface inspection system
- Coating applications for virtually all strip qualities, including extra-deep drawing grades with yield strengths down to 160 N/mm²
- Galvanized strip surfaces ideal for automotive exposed parts and home appliance applications
- Fully automated operation with in-line quality control
- Integrated environmental solutions that reduce energy, chemicals and process-water used
- Easy maintenance and operation due to ideal equipment design
Fig.1- Layout of continuous galvanizing line
Galvanizing of Hot-rolled Strip
Recent advances in hot-strip rolling now allow strip to be rolled to gauges of less than 1 mm. This means that with suitable corrosion protection, thin-gauge hot-rolled strip can substitute cold-rolled galvanized strip for a wide range of applications. Primetals Technologies has developed a solution type that is suitable for both wide and narrow hot-rolled-strip galvanizing. The first plants are already successfully operating at Wuppermann Bandstahl (Linz, Austria) and at Ornatube in Taiwan. Substantial cost savings can be achieved when the pickling section is incorporated into lines of this type. Galvanized coils from hot-strip galvanizing lines represent an excellent starting material for the downstream production of a wide range of sections, drawing parts and tubes for the construction, appliance and automotive industries.
- No need for annealing and cold rolling
- Highly compact plant layout and design
- Cost savings through in-line pickling as option
- Low operational and environmental expenditures
- Flexible on- and offline operation with induction heating
Fig.2- Electromagnetic strip vibration damper and crossbow corrector
Fig.3- Exit section on a continuous galvanizing line, Benxi Iron & Steel, PR China
Fig.4- Dynamic air knives Dynawipe
Primetals Technologies has vast experience in upgrading and modernization of processing lines. With a systematic approach, we work closely with our customers to develop a tailored modernization concept based on their individual needs taking all boundary conditions fully into account. The solution may be purely electrical, automated, mechanical or a combination. Based on the selected concept, the modernization can be carried out in several steps or during a plant shutdown. Primetals Technologies’ experience minimizes downtimes and ensures a fast start-up and top quality.