Primetals Technologies Electric and Automation for Aluminium Rolling Mills
Continuous improvements of the quality of rolled aluminum products together with increasing demands regarding mill uptime and productivity are strongly supported by new developments and enhanced functionality of Primetals Technologies electric and automation applications for rolling mills. Today's demands for flexible and economic production of aluminum plate, aluminum strip or foil can only be met by electrical and automation solutions, that are based on profound knowledge and a deep understanding of the aluminum rolling technology. This kind of know how in combination with our expertise in math, physics, control algorithms, mechanic, hydraulic and electric are qualifying Primetals Technologies to design and develop technological process models, high-performance control systems, reliable and mill proofed drive systems, as well as all other electrical equipment necessary for the operation of rolling mills. In short Primetals Technologies is able to supply complete mills or rolling mill equipment from one hand. All our solutions are well approved and have been optimized in a lot of applications with well-established customers all over the world.
Modern automation concept for improved product quality on Aluminum Cold Mills
Technological controls and process models are the core of our modern automation concept with the goal of maximizing utilization of the mechanical, electrical, hydraulic and other controlled equipment.
The control concepts have evolved with the increasing performance of the equipment and increasing demands in terms of tolerances of the final product– from simple analog PI controllers to highly complex and interlinked control systems. These controls and process models are nowadays integrated and the added value is well visible in the rolled strip.
These added values are:
• World class thickness and flatness tolerances to meet growing demands worldwide,
• less off-gauge material,
• Maximum throughput and availability
Scalable Technological Control Systems for Aluminum Cold Mills
These highly standardized EA packages have modular design and defined interfaces.
• Short delivery times thanks to the use of standardized components with high availability
• Fast start-up due to a field-proven solution with references around the world
• High product quality due to integrated suite of quality control functions
• Compact design with highly integrated components and allow installation even in confined areas
• Trouble free implementation due to modular design for new mill plants as well as for upgrades, extensions and revamps also of 3rd party systems
• Additional upgrades with add-on packages allow state improvements of functionality, strip quality and higher mill productivity even at a later
• Attractive CAPEX due to standardized solutions
Integrated Digital Drive Systems
Integrated fully digital systems with full capability of technology and diagnostic performance have been designed for drive control with high speed multi-microprocessors.
Flexible applications range from single drives with pinion gears to integrated drive systems for twin-drive and tandem-drive, from DC converters to AC cyclo-converter drives and AC multilevel drives, covering a wide range of power and voltage ratings. Comprehensive software development tools and libraries are supplied as part of the system. Diagnostic capabilities with local display of messages, op¬erator control and monitoring are included in the applications.
Technological controls and process models
Primetals Technologies provides a highly standardized TCS (Technological Control System) as a core for the automation of Aluminum Cold and Foil Mills.
The TCS is embedded into a project specific application which is tailor – made to suit the individual automation task. The range of available tools includes the full range of options for Aluminum Cold Mills including process models based on physical analytic modelling with the aid of artificial neural networks to generate a precise mill set-up for fast and smooth acceleration and max. throughput.
It further includes all relevant gauge and flatness control algorithms for all thickness ranges and alloys. Primetals Technologies offers a fully integrated automation concept which is completed by a user friendly HMI and diagnostic system for intuitive an effective operator support. This can be configured from almost manual operation for simple applications to the highest automation level featuring e.g. auto threading and tail out, automatic roll – change a.s.o..
General benefits are:
• Steep start-up curves as the "physical knowledge" from many mills is available right from the start
• Integrated automation with high flexibility
• High accuracy through making use of the experience with many thousands of strips
• Great extension behavior to new alloys and to new dimensions
Experience on Aluminum Cold Mills
Over the recent decades Primetals Technologies has successfully automated literally dozens of Aluminum Cold Mill all over the world, cooperating with world-class Aluminum producers. The range of Primetals Technologies references covers the full range of Cold mill applications including heavy gauge Roughing Mills, multi-stand Tandem Cold mills to ultra-thin gauge mills and Foil Mills.