Process meets Project
We offer our customers three propositions that guide our business.
Process know-how underpins plant design, because this is what assures both metallurgical quality and operational efficiency
Translating the concept into a working asset demands co-operation, so that customer and supplier share common goals. Through our excellent project management and collaborative approach, we ensure an early return on investment for all partners.
A sustainable plate mill is one that can be adapted and developed over time, quickly and at a competitive cost. Modular technology is the key, and so our principal Research & Development effort is directed at packages that can enhance an existing mill, responding to specific and evolving market needs.
Fig.1- Rolling plate on a steckel mill | Fig.2- Steckel plate mill | Fig.3- Steckel rolled plate on cooling bed
Designing a plate steckel mill is far more than an exercise in mechanical engineering – it is a special and unique example of combining operational efficiency and metallurgical function. Plate and coil products derive their properties from the combination of the deformation and temperature path followed, and this means that the flexibility to roll a broad mix in a single mill is built into the layout and the machine parameters. These design factors have to be right for all time. Getting them right starts with a complete understanding of process metallurgy, and translating this into a complete and robust design relies on experience. Primetals Technologies has more experience than anyone of the design and supply of modern wide plate mills, allowing us to develop and use engineering tools for the plate steckel mill application specifically.
Tools for Successful Design
- Bespoke Process Models (incorporating metallurgy as well as roll-bite mechanics and heat transfer)
- Facilities Design Methods (leading to maximized asset utilization under optimal deformation-temperature paths)
- Finite Element Analysis and Simulation (modern engineering tools to prove and optimize equipment performance)
The best designed and delivered plate steckel mills guarantee a long operating life, through changing markets as well as emerging and improving technology. The key to a sustainable asset is modular technology, allowing upgrades to be made as efficiently as possible in both time and cost terms. The integration skills of Primetals Technologies and our broad base of engineering disciplines, from machine design through process control and metrology, make us an ideal partner in the maintenance and development of the plate mill asset. The potential of the modular approach is wide-ranging too. It can equip a new operator for a lower-volume market entry with scope for future capacity growth, or it can guide an established operator into new product markets. Future-proofing of a customer's business may be the greatest challenge for any technology provider, but in plate steckel mills, Primetals Technologies is your partner to provide it.
A twin stand mill with a rougher stand before the steckel mill is suitable for an output of 800,000 tonnes a year.
- Mill types: 4-high work roll shift mill; 4-high Pair Cross mill (PC mill) with on-line roll profiler and dynamic PC option for dynamic Automatic Profile and Flatness Control (APFC).
- High-speed threading: 2m/sec or higher to maintain top and tail temperatures.
- Short gap time: Time between passes less than 3 seconds except first two passes.
- Stable rolling: Hydraulic servo side-guide and appropriate furnace coiling tension.
- Quality control: Head & tail thickness compensation, AGC, APFC, AWC, CTC, QOC (Quick Open Control)
Fig.4- Reversing 4-high steckel mill | Fig.5- A roughing mill prior to the steckel plate mill
Examples of Modular Technology
- MULPIC® Multi Purpose Interrupted Cooling Systems
- Addition of rougher stand before mill
- Profile and Flatness Control
- Transformation Monitor
- Plate Leveler
- Shear Technologies
- Steckel Coiler Furnace
- Coiler Technologies
- Plate transfer device